A family of five is homeless after a fire caused extensive damage to their home at 141 Prospect Ave. Tuesday evening.
The blaze broke out in the wall behind the fireplace, extending through the ceiling throughout the first floor and through the walls to the second floor, according to fire authorities.
“It appears there were holes in the mortar between the bricks,” said Lt. Edward Williams of fire prevention.
Firefighters had to remove the wall behind the chimney and pull down all the ceilings, added fire inspector George Kropas.
“If firefighters hadn’t gotten there quickly, it would have burned through the structure,” said Kropas. “Fortunately, there was no structural damage.”
The Red Cross assisted in relocating the family, which includes three children.
Damage to the home was estimated at $55,000.
The single-family house, built in 1923, is owned by Francis Fredericks.
His daughter and her family live there, according to firefighters. The house is valued at $215,200.