Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
August 10, 2020
IAFF Local Newswire
 
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Aug. 10 (00:06)

MDA Fill the Boot Goes Online This Year
IAFF Local #1945
Friday Update 8-7-20
IAFF Local 1014
2020 Virtual Fill The Boot
IAFF Local 21
2020 KSCFF Conference update
Kansas State Council of Fire Fighters
Union Meeting and Informational Session Today
Denver Firefighters Local 858
Union Meeting and Informational Session Tonight!
Denver Firefighters Local 858
 
     
Alert Brockton mom saves self, children
Posted On: Mar 27, 2006
Alert Brockton mom saves self, children By Maureen Boyle, Enterprise staff writer BROCKTON — Seven people — including three children — are alive today thanks to carbon monoxide detectors, fire officials say. The mother of three children, aged 8, 6 and nine months old, called firefighters shortly before 8:30 p.m. Sunday after the detector in her first-floor apartment on Williams Court, off Court Street, kept going off. "Her detector was going off intermittently but when the baby got sick and vomited, she made the call," Deputy Fire Chief Timothy Murphy said. When firefighters arrived, they discovered carbon monoxide levels of 100 parts per million — more than 10 times the normal levels of 7 to 8 per million, he said. The woman and her three children were taken to Brockton Hospital for evaluation and given oxygen. Tenants on the second floor were also evacuated, he said. Officials inspected the house and discovered someone who had installed a water heater earlier in the day failed to reconnect one of the smoke pipes, he said. As a result, the carbon monoxide wound up getting pushed through the forced hot air heating system in the house, he said. Murphy said if there hadn't been detectors in the home, tragedy could have resulted. "Because carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless, no one even knows it is there," he said. "If this had happened after they went to bed, it could have been tragic." The incident Sunday comes just days before a state law mandating all residents be equipped with carbon monoxide detectors as of March 31. The detectors must be on all all habitable floors of a home, including bsements that are used as a bedroom or family room. Also, any any room either above or next to an attached garage must have a CO monitor installed. The law — called "Nicole's Law" — was prompted by the death of 7-year-old Nicole Garofalo of Plymouth, who died in 2004 after a snowdrift blocked an exhaust vent from her family's propane-fired boiler, filling the home carbon monoxide.
Member Login
Username:

Password:


Not registered yet?
Click Here to sign-up

Forgot Your Login?
<< August 2020 >>
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
<< August 2020 >>
S M T W T F S
1
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
30 31
Important Links
IAFF
PFFM
Mass AFL-CIO
PERAC
Brockton Firefighers Pipe & Drum Band
Mass OEMS
MDA
AFL -CIO
Comm. of Mass.
Mass. Legislature
City of Brockton
IAFF Directory of Locals
FF Near-Miss Reporting
NFPA
BDCC
Southeastern Mass. EMS Council
IAFF Local Directory
Fire Engineering
Plymouth Bristol Central Labor Council
U.S. House of Representatives
Google

Site Search
Site Map
RSS Feeds
Brockton Firefighters Local 144
Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

318406 hits since Jan 24, 2006
Visit Unions-America.com!

Top of Page image