Site Map Icon
RSS Feed icon
June 04, 2020
IAFF Local Newswire
Join the Newswire!
Updated: Jun. 04 (04:05)

UPDATE | PERA Military Buyback Legislation
IAFF Local 21
Lone Tree Acid Leak
South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2086
Denver Good Deeds
Denver Firefighters Local 858
Silent March For George Floyd
IAFF Local 21
Thunder Ridge Way Structure Fire
South Metro Firefighters IAFF LOCAL 2086
Central Pennsy
Pennsylvania Professional Fire Fighters Association
Winter Street Fire
Posted On: Sep 12, 2007

Brockton home damaged in Monday fire; view story to see video

By Maria Papadopoulos, Enterprise staff writer

BROCKTON— Wendy Winkler dialed 911 when she saw flames coming out of her neighbor's Winter Street home Monday afternoon and live electrical wires dangling into the street.

“It was a very intense fire. There were flames coming out, very bright orange,” said Winkler, 35, clutching her child in her arms as firefighters hosed down the single-family home.

No one was home when the fire broke out at 268 Winter St. just after 3 p.m. Monday, fire officials said.

No injuries were reported.

When live electrical wires started sparking into the street, Winkler said she tried to warn a BAT bus and other cars driving by the home as flames ripped through the 1 1/2-story, wood-frame building.

The fire “had knocked down all the telephone wires. The wires were flying back and forth,” she said.

The fire started on the first floor, possibly in the living room, and extended out the first-floor window and up into the second floor, Fire Deputy Chief George Phillips said.


The firefighting effort was hampered by the electrical wires in the street and low water pressure from one hydrant used at the top of Winter Street, Phillips said.

Firefighters used another hydrant downhill to draw water.

“The electrical feed to the home had burned and melted,” Phillips said. “It was live and it was in the middle of the street. Our firefighters had to dodge that. That hampered our approach to the fire.”

The home is owned by Glenn Teague, fire officials said.

Investigators were still trying to determine the cause of the blaze Monday night.

Firefighters extinguished the flames within about 30 minutes, said Phillips, who estimated damages at about $80,000.

Firefighters were on scene more than six hours, with the last piece of apparatus clearing at 9:26 p.m.

Crews from Tower 1, Squad A, Ladder 1 and engine companies 3, 4 and 7 responded. City Wiring Inspector Chris Sheehan and representatives from the Building Department also responded.

More pictures are located in the photo gallery.

Brockton Firefighters Local 144
Copyright © 2020, All Rights Reserved.
Powered By UnionActive™

315165 hits since Jan 24, 2006

Top of Page image